The Department of Communication and Media Studies of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens organizes and operates for the academic year 2023-2024 an Intensive Postgraduate Program (IPP) MSc in «Media and Refugee / Migration Flows» which awards a Postgraduate Diploma in the following specializations:
- S1 «News media of refugee flows»
- S2: «Communication management of refugee / migration flows»
The purpose and objectives of the Program is the postgraduate training of graduates in communication, media and journalism, as well as executives from the private and public sector in this field, regarding valid and objective information of citizens. Additionally, it will provide opportunities to students to investigate the communication management of refugee/migration flows in order to promote a positive response to the ongoing tensions and crises created at national and cross-national level.
The graduation from the Program requires the successful completion of the semester courses, the mandatory participation in the Summer School on Lesvos Island and the successful completion of a master thesis. Additionally, students should participate in all educational activities, such as seminars, internship etc.
The duration of the Program, which awards a Postgraduate Diploma, is two (2) academic semesters, without summer break. An extension may be requested with an application by the student to the Special Committee of the MSc, however the maximum permissible time for completion of studies is three (3) semesters.
This is a call for the academic year 2023-2024 for a maximum of forty (40) available positions, twenty available positions for Specialization 1 (S1) and twenty available positions for Specialization 2 (S2).
Deadline for applicants of countries outside of the EU/EEA: 31/08/2023
Deadline for applicants of EU/EEA countries: 05/09/2023
The tuition fees for the IPP amounts to 3.000€ for students from EU/EEA countries, distributed in two equal installments of 1,500€ each. The tuition fees for students from countries outside of the EU/EEA amounts to 6.800€, distributed in two equal installments of 3.400€ each.
The first installment is due upon registration prior to the winter semester and the second installment has to be accomplished not later than the last day of the first week of the spring semester. In case of permanent termination of study or student removal for any reason, the already paid attendance fees are not refunded. In case of reduced payment of school fees, the rate of reduction shall be applied equally to all installments.
Selected students may apply for exemption from tuition fees by presenting an individual or family income tax statement of the latest available financial year. A tax clearance certificate (“ekkatharistiko” in Greek) is issued to all those stating their income, when they submit their tax declaration to Greek Tax Authorities. The exempted students should not exceed 30% of the selected participants. Those who receive a scholarship from another source are not eligible for exemption.
Candidates should have accomplished the first cycle of studies which would consist of 180 or 240 ECTS and have acquired degrees in Communication and Media Studies, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Law Studies, or other relevant academic fields, and holders of any undergraduate university degree in fields similar to the Program. Graduates from faculties of Communication, Media and Journalism or similar in Greece and abroad are accepted by priority under the condition that they meet all other entry requirements. Foreign students are strongly advised to check the following website with a regularly updated list of foreign Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) recognized by DOATAP, the «Hellenic Naric»: (http://www.doatap.gr/).
Additional skills and educational credentials that will be submitted and considered should be formally granted. The finalization of the participants follows a personal interview (Candidates residing outside Athens and abroad will be interviewed via Skype) and is based on the following criteria:
- The overall grade of the postgraduate degree/diploma: 20%
- Adequate knowledge of the English language: 15%
- Possession of a second degree and/or other postgraduate degrees in a subject related to the IPP or relevant publications: 15%
- Related specialization to the field of the IPP, research activity and/or professional experience (participation in conferences, participation in research or educational programs): 20%
- Personal interview by the committee in order to ascertain the academic experience, performance, and interests of the candidates and is evaluated on a 1-10 scale: 30%
The candidates may be invited again to a follow-up interview, in the event of a tie for the last position.
For the application procedure the candidates are invited to submit in time the following documents:
- Completed application form (to be downloaded from the program’s website)
- Photocopy of Identity Card (two sides) or Passport
- Detailed CV with photo preferably in Europass format
- Copy of degree certified by recognized entity, such as a university, local authority, consulate, police, and lawyer or similar depending on national law (please make sure to visit the website of the «Hellenic Naric», the official Greek certificating institution for foreign degrees)
- Certified copy of grades transcript
- Proof of advanced knowledge of English language (corresponding to C1 level), demonstrated by an internationally recognized certificate or English-taught degrees from secondary/tertiary educational institutions or proof of working experience in an English-speaking environment
- Two letters of recommendation, of which at least one must be from academic person (scholar, university professor, researcher, etc)
- Copy of thesis of the completed first cycle study (or title and a summary thereof if incomplete by the time of application or reference that it is not mandatory for the candidate’s first cycle program) should be sent only via email
- Academic papers, published either in journals or in the proceedings of international conference proceeding should be sent only via email
- Any other relevant information may be submitted, such as letter of intent, volunteer programs, etc. (discretion of applicant)
Interested parties can be consulted on our website (https://www.migromedia.gr) about the structure of the Program, rules of operation and any subject related to the way and procedure of their selection.
Applicants must submit in person, via postal service and via email their completed application form and relevant documents to the Secretariat of the Department. The Secretariat accepts applications on working days from 10.00 am to 15.00 pm.
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Department of Communication and Media Studies
Office of Postgraduate Studies
1 Sophocleous Str., 105 59 Athens
1st floor, Room 104 & Room 110
Tel.: 0030 210 3689291, 210 3689290, 210 3689444
Mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Oral assessments are scheduled during the first two weeks of September 2023. Participants will be informed for the exact time schedule of interviews. During the interview, you will have the opportunity to explain your interest in the topic of migration and refugee related subjects, choice to participate in the program and career goals. Moreover, you can describe in more detail your relevant professional, academic and personal experiences. You will also have the chance to learn more about the program and could ask any remaining questions. Lectures and all other educational activities will begin the first week of October.
Professor George Pleios
Director of MSc
Director of the Laboratory for Social Research in Mass Media